This dish is one that has been developed over time…. starting with mixing the mustard with honey to make a glaze. Then substituting the honey for the more resiny maple syrup. Experimenting with Dijon or grainy mustard. Adding the wine for depth. Adding the cream for richness. All suggestions to adjust being made by the Chief Taster.
Recipe for creamy chicken anointed with maple syrup and mustard
• 8 boneless chicken thighs
• 8 tbsp maple syrup
• 6 tbsps grainy mustard
• 1 tbsp herbes de Provence
• 1 tbsp rich, thick dark soy sauce (go here to know what to look for)
• 80 ml/⅓ cup double cream
• 80 ml/⅓ cup madeira, port, or mulled wine
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Slightly oil an ovenproof dish and lay the chicken out on it.
3. Mix all the ingredients, except the cream, together and pour over the chicken – stir up to coat.
4. Cover with foil, and bake for about 20 minutes. Take out, baste the chicken, and put back in the oven uncovered for another ten minutes.
5. Take out, check the chicken is done – it should be a darkish golden, and add the cream – stir in well.
6. Return to the oven, uncovered, for another five minutes.
7. Serve with a flourish!