Rather an unexpected mix this – peppers with apple – but it’s fresh and a bit festive.
Goes especially well with Modigliani White Fish Fillets with Mussels and Saffron.
Recipe for peppers stuffed with apple and mascarpone
- 2 orange peppers
- 2 tsp anchovy paste
- 20 pitted black olives and roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp capers
- 4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped with 1 tsp smoked salt
- 40g/⅔ cup breadcrumbs (not Panko, from a stale white loaf)
- 250g/9 oz/1 cup mascarpone
- 1 apple
- 4 tbsps chopped fresh chives
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp walnut oil
- 2 tbsps grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Brush a roasting tin with olive oil.
- Cut the pepper in half, and deseed them. Brush them also with olive oil, put on the tin and put in the oven for about half an hour.
- Core and slice the apple and mix with the mascarpone, the breadcrumbs, the garlic and salt, the oregano, the capers, the black olives and the anchovy paste.
- Turn the oven up to 210ºC.
- Stuff the peppers with the apple and mascarpone mixture. Sprinkle over the parmesan. Return to the oven for another ten minutes (watch it…it may not need that long).
- Serve, with a few chives snipped over, a generous grinding of pepper, and a drizzle of walnut oil.