This peppery green salad has an additional bit of sparkle thanks to the cress which enforces the underlying zing of the explosive mix of garlic, spring onions and rocket.
To make it even quicker make the dressing by using ready bought tzatziki (about half a cup) and adding a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. If you don’t like creamy salad dressings substitute the yoghurt with walnut oil.
And if you want even more of a bracing ZING add some lime and chilli cashews.
Recipe for Super-zingy Green Salad With Garlic Dressing
- a bag/about 100g/about 4 oz of rocket or watercress
- a Little Gem lettuce (shredded)
- a bag/about 100g/about 4 oz lambs lettuce or English floppy lettuce
- 1 box of cress (as in mustard and…)
- a small bunch – about eight – spring onions
- 1 avocado
- 80ml/a third of a cup of Greek yoghurt
- 3 tbs olive oil (one with an interesting taste)
- juice and zest of a lemon (or 2 tbsp lemon juice)
- 5 ‘normal’ cloves of garlic, crushed with some smoked salt
- about 10 grinds of white pepper
- in a wooden salad bowl mix the rocket, the Little Gem, the lambs lettuce, and scissor off the cress into the bowl also
- trim the spring onions leaving on about a inch (2 cm) of the green and slice finely, add to bowl
- add the lemon zest to the bowl
- make the dressing, using about three quarters of the lemon juice, the garlic, the pepper, the oil and the yoghurt
- just before serving peel and chop the avocado and sprinkle over the rest of the lemon juice to stop it turning a browny grungy colour, add to bowl.
- dress and serve
© Saucy Dressings 2014